By Sarah Al-Arshani | Business Insider
Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) has delivered a pretty devastating comeback to President Donald Trump after his dog-whistle attack on her Somali origins at his Pennsylvania rally.
President Donald Trump attacked Rep. Ilhan Omar during a rally on Tuesday night, attacking her for fleeing Somalia as a refugee when she was eight.
The Rise of the African Multinational Enterprise: The most authoritative book on private enterprise in Africa. Get a Copy from SPRINGER
“She’s telling us how to run our country. How did you do where you came from? How was your country doing?” Trump said.
Omar is the first Somali-American and one of the first Muslim women to serve in the US House Representatives. She spent her early years as a refugee who fled Somalia with her family in the early 1990s.
- Foreign students show less zeal for US since Trump took over
- Dr. Ngozi Ezike | Nigerian-American head of Illinois Public Health cries while reporting increase in Covid 19 infections
- Bam Adebayo | Maimi Heat’s Power forward is embracing his name and his Nigerian heritage
- Nigerian-Americans Start Project to Lobby Congress and to Push for Sanctions Against the Nigerian Government in Response to the Killings of Peaceful protesters.
- Nigeria’s #EndSARS protesters draw inspiration from Black Lives Matter
In response to Trump’s remarks, Omar said: “Firstly, this is my country & I am a member of the House that impeached you.”
She added: “Secondly, I fled civil war when I was 8. An 8-year-old doesn’t run a country even though you run our country like one.”
—Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) September 23, 2020
This isn’t the first Trump has directed disparaging comments at Omar.
In 2019, Trump tweeted that “Progressive’ Democrat Congresswomen” to “go back” to their “corrupt” and “broken and crime infested” countries. He then also claimed that the congresswomen were “loudly […] and viciously telling the people of the United States […] how our government is to be run.”
A few days after the tweets, a crowd at a Trump rally in Greenville, North Carolina, chanted “send her back!” in reference to Omar.
—Jon Passantino (@passantino) July 17, 2019
“She looks down with contempt on the hard-working Americans, saying that ignorance is pervasive in many parts of this country,” Trump said about Omar before the crowd broke into the chant.
Trump offered no rebuke to the chant.
Read from source Business Insider